Banner 7
Home » Our School » School Profile » History
History

The Junior School was established in 1944 by the British Council, working with an enthusiastic group of parents, who wished to provide a primary school which would be suitable for expatriate British children living in Cyprus. It was intended that the School should also provide places for other children whose parents desired this type of educational opportunity.

The school remained under the direction of the British Council until 1948, when it became a non-profit making company incorporated in Cyprus, known as ‘The Junior School’. The School is now a company limited by guarantee, and any parent or guardian of a pupil, can choose to become a member of the company. The School has remained a non-profit making institution and the only income received is from school fees and rental.

The school grew rapidly during the 1950`s to cater for the increased number of expatriate children. The School has experienced intermittent growth ever since, and is currently three to four forms per year with a total number of students of around 650 on roll. The population of the school is international, with over 30 nationalities represented and more than 14 languages spoken. The staff also come from all around the world, many with links to UK, though most have strong ties to the island.

The present buildings were first occupied in 1951. Since then, numerous additions and renovations have been made in order to meet the growing needs of the children. Over the years, these additions have been generously funded by The British High Commission, The British Council, The American Embassy, various donors and the PTA, as well as by surpluses created through prudent management of the fee income.

Commencing in 2010, a major building renovation programme began to ensure that the facilities were modernized and brought up to the standards of a top school looking to the new millennium. The buildings were modernised in two phases, with excellent facilities being incorporated in the original building and a modern new extension added; the design concept is ‘The past and the future’. Classrooms are spacious and modern technologies are now a feature of the everyday life of all students. The building was inaugurated by the Minister of Education Mr. Costas Kadis in May 2016.

In 2003 the Senior School was established extending education from 12-18 years and incorporating study for IGCSE and A level qualifications. During the 11 years since the inception of our Senior School section, we have grown considerably and have become a school of choice for both the local Greek Cypriot and Armenian community but also for other nationalities and we welcome an increasing number of embassy staff and UN children. Due to a rise in pupil numbers and a need for improved buildings, in March 2016 we have moved to our new site in Latsia. This has provided us with state of the art, 21st century facilities including extensive sports grounds and two swimming pools, a gymnasium a drama studio, a specialist Music and recording studio and fully equipped science laboratories.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it
Aristotle